A Senior Project Estimator contractor is needed for a remote opportunity responsible for performing highly technical estimating evaluations for complex projects and outage activities in a safe, efficient and economical manner. This group is responsible for ensuring compliance to defined project estimating and scope control procedures; establishing the process of gathering and integrating estimate and cost information to build master estimating cost models and databases; mentor and train the organization on proper development of project estimates; and developing criteria for estimation and use of project and portfolio contingency.
This contractor will be doing predominately telecommunications estimates with additional estimating in substation and transmission line.
- Job Designation is remote. However, local candidates preferred, initial start and training are in Tulsa office. Additional training and occasional meetings are also in the Tulsa office.
- Travel of 5% would consist of training, meetings or site visits.
- Works with project stakeholders (i.e. project management, engineering, planning, contractors, etc.) to develop, implement and continuously improve estimating and scope change management processes.
- Develop or oversee the development of conceptual estimates for assigned projects; support the planning and engineering groups in the development of all levels of estimates; and collect and analyze close out benchmarking data.
- Interface with engineering, outage planning, project engineering/management, construction, plant personnel and project controls-scheduling to identify/initiate, scope, status and follow-up (if necessary) estimate efforts. This includes providing recommendations and guidance to interfacing groups/individuals regarding estimate approach and input requirements.
- Establish policies and procedures for allocating risk based contingency; monitor labor market trends; work closely with procurement to track equipment pricing trends; develop and analyze historical records of project costs; review and critique designs and specifications for cost effectiveness and suggests alternatives when appropriate.
- Implement policies and procedures defined in project estimating methods developed by the controls group for the long-range planning and capital development process; develop and maintain standardized processes and procedures for estimating; review estimate basis and assumptions for completeness and reasonableness; work with functional departments and service organization to develop services labor and material estimates.
- Provide advanced technical direction and guidance regarding estimate approach/development, assumptions/qualifications, and resolution of estimate issues.
- Plan, instruct, and/or coordinate the training and development of estimating employees, as required.
- Support the organization of project activities, delegate project task assignments, set team requirements and expectations to manage deliverables and hold team members accountable.
- Electrical/Civil/Transmission Line estimating experience and background.
- Must have relevant experience in engineering or construction management. Preferred candidates will have relevant experience in electrical utility sector, either worked directly or indirectly for an electrical utility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Project Management, Engineering or related field of study. PLUS a minimum of four (4) years of experience in power generation and/or transmission system estimating, engineering, design or construction execution
- Strong knowledge of current market pricing trends and construction execution for capital projects required
- Strong communication skills required.
- Develop and demonstrate a high-level of confidence in the ability to lead a team and a project to successful conclusion.
- Develop and demonstrate outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, with all stakeholders including team members, sponsors, management and senior management.
- Develop and demonstrate an economic and business acumen with an understanding of the engineering & design, procurement, contracting, estimating, construction and startup procedures and processes.
- Develop and demonstrate strategic thinking, planning, risk assessment and prioritization of project activities skills.
- Develop and demonstrate conflict management skills to resolve disputes and to maximize synergies with an overriding goal to do the “right thing” for the company.
- Develop and demonstrate an understanding of scope management.
- Assist with the evaluation and determination of the skill sets and capabilities of team members then provide recommendations to ensure project success.
- Possess high level of proficiency and advanced knowledge of construction methodologies.
- Position may require extended hours to accomplish assigned tasks and meet project/outage requirements and schedules.
- Develop and demonstrate ability to maintain a professional working atmosphere
- Experience with estimating software packages preferred
- Experience with Primavera a plus