A hybrid contract opportunity is available in Roanoke, VA for a Trans Line Siting Specialist who will be responsible for coordinating the siting studies for electric transmission line and substation projects and securing local zoning and state regulatory approvals. Projects can range from site scale to hundreds of miles in length. The objective is to avoid or minimize impacts while balancing engineering and construction requirements and make defensible decisions.
- Job Designation is Hybrid and will require 3 days a week working in the office. Two days working remote.
Candidates local to Roanoke, VA. and surrounding areas only.
- Travel is 30%. Travel consists of station site visits and/or open houses. Area of travel will include West Virginia, Kentucky and Virginia. Must be comfortable and have experience driving and working in the Appalachian Region and rugged mountain terrain. Overnight stay 1-2 nights is possible. Once a month evening hours could be necessary for Open House.
- The candidate will have knowledge in land use planning and the ability to interact and present to the public and local officials.
- The ability to read topographic maps and manage multiple projects is also required.
- Written, organizational, presentation, and oral communication skills are critical.
- Bachelor’s degree in Planning or Land Use Planning (preferred) or in Landscape Architecture, Engineering, Geography, or related field.
- Experience with Microsoft Office computer applications is required.
- A minimum of one to two years’ experience working in transmission siting, planning and zoning
- Engineering and construction knowledge are beneficial.
- May require extended hours to accomplish assigned tasks to meet requirements and schedules.
- Some overnight travel to facilities and projects (field work) is required periodically.
- Position requires some travel and exposure to situations which require knowledge, understanding, and adherence to applicable safety procedures, and ability to hike one to three miles in rugged terrain.
- Approximately 20 to 30% of travel time associated with this position.
- Related experience is preferred, but entry-level candidates will be considered with the aptitude and desire to learn about transmission line routing.