Telecom Technician Associate
A Telecom Technician Associate contractor is needed in Laredo, TX. The Telecommunications Technician will perform, under direct supervision and clearly defined procedures, basic level installation, maintenance and repair of various Telecommunications related equipment, using accepted practices and procedures.
- Perform basic installation, system testing, troubleshooting, issue resolution, and produce required documentation.
- Work to gain knowledge and understanding of various Telecommunications technologies, business processes, and customer requirements.
- Use existing procedures to solve routine or standard problems.
- Exhibit a positive, collaborative attitude working in a team environment.
- Must be accountable for ones own work and advancement.
- Perform basic entry-level installation, maintenance and repair of various Telecommunications related equipment.
- Participate in cross-training of various telecommunications systems.
- Adapt to changing work schedules and priorities.
- Assist in database and record keeping systems for work and asset tracking.
- All above activities will be performed with an emphasis on safety for yourself and others.
- Associate Degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology, or technical degree or certificate in related field, or High School Diploma/GED with 2 years of related experience (related experience includes telecommunications networks, microwave, fiber, transport, etc.)
- No additional experience required with related Associate’s degree.
- A strong electronics / telecommunications aptitude is desired.
- Telecommunications Technical Proficiency: Has a basic understanding and is able to demonstrate basic support skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Demonstrate understanding of Land Mobile Radio systems, basic electronics, and antenna systems.
- Exhibit a working knowledge of telecommunications transport systems, including microwave radio and fiber optic systems.
- Demonstrate understanding of fiber optic cable and splice methods and requirements.
- Exhibit understanding of AC/DC power systems.
- Demonstrate understanding of voice/video systems and IP telephony.
- Exhibit understanding of telecommunications wiring requirements, installation methods, and industry standard practices.
- Demonstrate understanding of LAN/WAN system requirements in the installation and maintenance of routers, switches, wireless access points, and related equipment.
- Exhibit a working knowledge of mobile data computers including troubleshooting techniques and processes, configuration of basic computer hardware components, and vehicle installation and wiring techniques.
- Travel as required per position – expected roughly 40-50% travel including some possible occasional overnight travel – most travel will be local to the Laredo area and will be accomplished within the normal workday (i.e. ~60 miles of Laredo).
- Ability to work overtime if needed and approved, occasional nights/weekends, etc.