We’re looking for a VP of Growth Marketing to drive awareness, signups, and engagement among employers, community partners, etc.. You’ll report to the CEO and start with two direct reports, with the opportunity to build and lead a department. We’re looking for someone who is passionate and proud about what we get to build, and why – someone who wants to use their talents for meaningful impact and social good.
Can be based remotely in Colorado (hybrid in the Denver HQ), Georgia, Missouri, Ohio, or Texas.
An idea of your immediate priorities:
- Gain a detailed understanding of our product and business model.
- Gain a detailed understanding of how job seekers, employers, and community partners find and engage with our platform.
- Take ownership of our current marketing efforts including social media, Google AdWords, Google Analytics, and Email/SMS.
- Create a customer research / discovery plan that can be quickly implemented to generate actionable insights including any needed data tracking, user surveys, user interviews, etc.
- Create an overarching marketing strategy by identifying and documenting all relevant marketing levers/channels, prioritizing your team’s efforts, and quickly diversifying to reduce reliance on paid ads
Of your core responsibilities:
- Act as a role model and steward of client culture and values
- Build and maintain a multi-faceted job seeker and employer acquisition and engagement strategy – e.g.:
- SOCIAL MEDIA: expand channels, with unique strategy for each
- SMS & EMAIL: create, track, and improve email and SMS campaigns to drive user adoption and engagement including automation based on user actions in the app
- SEO: strategy and tactics to increase the appearance and positioning of our web pages in organic search results
- CONTENT MARKETING: creating and distributing high-impact digital assets, including blog posts, videos, ebooks, whitepapers, etc.
- MEDIA/PRESS/PR: cultivating relationships with reporters for regular coverage; press releases for fund raises, partnerships, product launches, etc.
- OUTREACH: build awareness and uptake among probation and parole departments, other community partners, and employer/industry groups
- PAID ADS: optimize effectiveness of current spend, while moving away from reliance on ads
- EVENTS: elevate our brand and generate leads via events with a mix of client hosting, co-branding, attending, speaking, etc.
- PRODUCT MARKETING: collaborating with cross-functional colleagues to effectively promote our unique and impactful products
- PERFORMANCE MARKETING: optimize cost-per-action for customer acquisition, reach, engagement and conversion
- Leverage the above strategies to advance and promote client’s thought leadership and brand awareness and user engagement
- Utilize data and analytics to track KPIs (e.g., new users, source, engagement, and customer acquisition cost), evaluate marketing effectiveness, prioritize efforts, ensure efficient and sustainable growth
- Strike a balance across quick wins and foundations for long-term success
- Support a culture of fast, yet thoughtful, experimentation and iteration to drive user growth
- Ensure consistent messaging that is aligned with our brand and value proposition
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Partner with our executive team, product, and business development to scale strategies that drive meaningful business impact (e.g., mass distribution, low acquisition cost, and high customer lifetime value)
And of your longer-term priorities:
- Build and lead a diverse, dynamic, high-performing team to meet the evolving needs of our business, including hiring primarily people with felonies
- Support the creation and growth of new products and own the corresponding go-to-market strategies
- Strengthen analytics capabilities to refine user acquisition, engagement, and re-engagement efforts via insights, attribution, and growth trends through the full-funnel experience
Skills and Experience
- Alignment with the values and culture, including a demonstrated dedication to meaningful impact and social good
- Experience driving large-scale user acquisition using a variety of methods, with an emphasis on thought leadership and community building vs. paid acquisition
- Expertise in quantifying, analyzing, and optimizing marketing and growth initiatives
- Very strong written and spoken communication skills across stakeholder audiences
- Strong business and financial acumen, including B2B and B2C, marketplace dynamics, and financial levers
- Bias to action and desire to operate and lead others in lean, data-driven, and process/systems-focused ways
- Appreciation for and enjoyment of tactical work (e.g., drafting and editing copy) and big-picture work (e.g., establishing strategy)
- Ability to coach, develop, and manage a team of direct reports with empathy and candor
- Versatility and comfort with the change and uncertainty of working in an early-stage startup, and in helping others navigate those challenges
- Personal lived experience with the criminal justice system
- Experience leading and scaling diverse, dynamic, high-performing teams in a startup/entrepreneurial context
- Experience in recruiting, talent acquisition, or job placement services
- Experience with HubSpot, our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool
- Ability to enhance awareness and uptake of Honest Jobs’ services via personal and professional relationships, social media reach, etc.